The picture above is a little outdated: The Klipschorn on the left and the tall Eminence TH on the right are gone. Instead there is a Cinema Sub TH in each corner (refer to below).
Also gone are the Yamaha DSP-AX1 6ch. HT amp, the Behringer Ultracurve 2496 (which EQ’ed both Cinema Sub TH’s) and the Albs Sub-25BB analogue subwoofer x-over (formerly used for the Cinema Sub TH’s).
Instead a dedicated Playback PC with room correction came. It just runs JRiver as player software. Part of JRiver is a convolver engine for room correction an x-over duties. The system is completely active now. Each speaker has it’s own amp now. The convolver runs FIR filters created by Dr. Ulrich Brüggemann’s Acourate toolbox. Many thanks here in particular to Markus and Heiner for their patience in answering my stupid questions!
XBMC (Kodi) had to leave as well since it does not have such nice convolver included as JRiver does. Sad but true. I liked XBMC so much. Music and movies are still stored on the network. A RME Fireface 800 serves as D/A converter. A three step attentuator between the D/A converter and the power amps serves as “safety parachute” for testing (I don’t want to blow off drivers when something goes wrong inside the Playback PC resulting in full level to the power amps – ouch!).
The sketch below shows how the hardware and software components of my system are connected to each other:
- fc-110Hz: Cinema Sub TH (dual 8″ Tangband Tapped Horn)
- 100-500Hz: Midbass horn with EV EVM15B (formerly EVM15L)
- 500Hz-10KHz: 320Hz Tractrix horn with 2″ Fostex midrange compression driver D582
- 10KHz and up: Fane ST5022 tweeter
My rear speakers are built from what’s left over in previous projects:
- Shriked LaScala Bass unit with 10″ Eminence drivers
- 350Hz Edgar Midrange Horn utilizing a PHL 6 1/2″ cone driver
- Fostex FT66H tweeter
Currently they are not even in operation since my system is limited to stereo only. This will change in future again.
Electronics & Software
- Playback PC, Intel i5, running Windows 8.1
- JRiver media player software, remote controlled with JRemote
- Convolver (JRiver internal) with FIR filterers (4 ways crossover and room correction)
- Dr. Uli Brüggemann’s (((Acourate)))© Pro Audio toolbox for measurement, room correction and filter creation.
- RME Fireface 800 hooked up to the playback PC via Firewire
- Abletec AMS0100 class D amp for midrange
- Abletec AMS0100 class D amp for tweeters
- Abletec AMS1000 for midbass (refer to D-Amp section)
- Abletec ALC0300 amps for subwoofers (refer to D-Amp section)